In short, a Class C Contractors License in Virginia requires the following:
- Create business entity if you have not already done so.
- Complete the 8 Hour class
- Name a Qualified Individual and complete the Experience Verification Form
- Complete the License Application and mail it with the application fee and all required forms to the DPOR.
- Wait for a letter from the DPOR approving your Qualified Individual to take the specialty exam.
- The Qualified Individual will study for and pass the specialty exam. The exam is given by PSI at a PSI location.
- Receive your license
For more detail on the Class C License requirements, we look at the Code of Virginia:
18VAC50-22-40. Requirements for a Class C License.
Part II Entry
A. A firm applying for a Class C license must meet the requirements of this section.
B. For every classification or specialty in which the firm seeks to be licensed, the firm shall name a qualified individual who meets the following requirements:
1. Is at least 18 years old;
2. Has a minimum of two years experience in the classification or specialty for which he is the qualifier;
3. Is a full-time employee of the firm as defined in this chapter or is a member of the responsible management of the firm; and
4. a. Has obtained the appropriate certification for the following specialties:
(1) Blast/explosive contracting (Department of Fire Programs explosive use certification);
(2) Fire sprinkler (NICET Sprinkler III certification); and
(3) Radon mitigation (EPA or DEQ accepted radon certification).
b. Has obtained, pursuant to the Individual Licensing and Certification Regulations, a master license for Plumbing, HVAC, Electrical, Gas Fitting, Natural Gas Fitting Provider, and Liquefied Petroleum Gas Contracting.
c. Has completed, for the drug lab remediation specialty, a remediation course approved by the board and a board-approved examination.
d. Has obtained, pursuant to the Individual Licensing and Certification Regulations, certification as an Elevator Mechanic for Elevator Escalator Contracting and certification as a Water Well Systems Provider for Water Well/Pump Contracting.
e. Has been approved by the Board for Contractors for the miscellaneous specialty (MSC).
f. Has completed a board-approved examination for all other classifications and specialties that do not require other certification or licensure.
C. The firm shall provide information for the past five years prior to application on any outstanding, past-due debts and judgments; outstanding tax obligations; defaults on bonds; or pending or past bankruptcies. The firm and all members of the responsible management of the firm shall submit information on any past-due debts and judgments or defaults on bonds directly related to the practice of contracting as defined in Chapter 11 (§ 54.1-1100 et seq.) of Title 54.1 of the Code of Virginia.
D. The firm and all members of the responsible management of the firm shall disclose at the time of application any current or previous contractor licenses held in Virginia or in other jurisdictions and any disciplinary actions taken on these licenses. This includes any monetary penalties, fines, suspensions, revocations, surrender of a license in connection with a disciplinary action, or voluntary termination of a license in Virginia or in any other jurisdiction.
E. In accordance with § 54.1-204 of the Code of Virginia, all applicants shall disclose the following information about the firm, all members of the responsible management, and the qualified individual or individuals for the firm:
1. All misdemeanor convictions within three years of the date of application; and
2. All felony convictions during their lifetimes.
Any plea of nolo contendere shall be considered a conviction for purposes of this subsection. The record of a conviction received from a court shall be accepted as prima facie evidence of a conviction or finding of guilt. The board, in its discretion, may deny licensure to any applicant in accordance with § 54.1-204 of the Code of Virginia.
F. A member of responsible management shall have successfully completed a board-approved basic business course.